About the University

Some Heritage Buildings Associated with the University of Calcutta

The establishment of the University of Calcutta by the University Act of 1857 was the logical culmination of historical forces created by the emergent aspirations for acquisition of modern education, an offshoot of the process which started with the advent of Western culture in India in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. Initially the University was only an affiliating and examining body. All the teaching was done in the constituent colleges (the Presidency College, the Sanskrit College and the Bengal Engineering College appear among the sketches presented hereinafter). Besides, it had no habitation of its own. This was a constraint of serious proportions and the University was forced to take recourse to many expedients to discharge its functions as efficiently as possible. In those early years, the meetings of the Senate were held in the Council Room of the Calcutta Medical College and Hospital while the Syndicate generally met at the private residence of the Vice-Chancellor. The Faculty Councils met either at the private residences of the Presidents of the Faculties concerned or in the Civil Engineering College or in some of the rooms of the Writers’ Buildings. The University examinations were held in the Town Hall and at other places (including even some improvised tents at the Maidan). [ READ MORE ]

WRITERS’ BUILDINGS

Built in 1706 for the purpose of accommodating the administrative offices of the East India Company, the Writers’ Buildings represents the Gothic architectural style. It has always been the seat of the government in the State. Meetings of the faculty members of the University of Calcutta were held here till the Senate House was built on College Street

TOWN HALL
Rear View
TOWN HALL Front View

Built in 1813 in Doric architectural style as a venue for meetings of the European dwellers of Calcutta, the Hall became the property of the Municipality of Calcutta (now known as the Kolkata Municipal Corporation) in 1867. Between 1857 and 1872, examinations of the University of Calcutta were held here

PRESIDENCY COLLEGE

Founded in 1817 as Hindu College, it was renamed as the Presidency College in 1855; one among the first group of constituent colleges of the University of Calcutta

SANSKRIT COLLEGE

Founded in 1824, the Sanskrit College also was among the first group of constituent colleges of the University

CALCUTTA MEDICAL COLLEGE AND HOSPITAL

Founded in 1835; in the early years the Senate of the University used to meet here

BENGAL ENGINEERING COLLEGE

(At present, Bengal Engineering and Science University) Founded in 1856 as the Calcutta College of Civil Engineering at the Writers’ Buildings, it was shifted to its present location in 1880; one among the first group of constituent colleges of the University

THE SENATE HOUSE

Erected in 1872, it was the first habitation of the University of Calcutta. It used to provide the venue for Senate meetings, the chamber of the Vice-Chancellor, offices of the Registrar and also examination and lecture halls. It was demolished in 1960

DARBHANGA BUILDING

College Street CampusErected in 1912, it now accommodates University offices including the chambers of the Vice-Chancellor, the Pro-Vice-Chancellor for Academic Affairs, the Registrar and the Controller of Examinations

ASUTOSH BUILDING

College Street Campus Opened in 1926, it accommodates the postgraduate language and literature departments and the department of commerce

CENTENARY BUILDING

College Street Campus Opened in 1968, it houses the Central Library, the Asutosh Museum of Indian Art, the Auditorium and some University offices. It accommodates the chambers of the Pro-Vice-Chancellor for Business Affairs and Finance, the Inspector of Colleges and the University Librarian

A Panoramic View
of THE CENTENARY BUILDING

College Street Campus

UNIVERSITY COLLEGE OF SCIENCE

92, Acharya Prafulla Chandra Road Department of APPLIED CHEMISTRY Extension of the building was made in 1935

UNIVERSITY COLLEGE OF SCIENCE

92, Acharya Prafulla Chandra Road Front View Sir Asutosh Mookerjee laid the foundation stone of the University College of Science on March 27, 1914

UNIVERSITY COLLEGE OF SCIENCE

92, Acharya Prafulla Chandra Road Department of APPLIED PHYSICS Further extension of the building was made in 1938

UNIVERSITY COLLEGE OF SCIENCE

92, Acharya Prafulla Chandra Road Rear View

UNIVERSITY COLLEGE OF SCIENCE (Old)

Ballygunge The land and the premises shown in the sketch had been gifted by Sri Taraknath Palit. The building shown in the sketch was demolished later

UNIVERSITY COLLEGE OF SCIENCE

Ballygunge Front View This newly built complex was opened for use in 1964