These are the past and present seals of the University. The first one was adopted when the University was inaugurated in 1857. It was changed a few years later, after the Government of India had passed under the Crown. Seal three was used only for a brief period in 1930. Many will remember the criticisms raised by seal four in the 1930s in Bengal. Seal five was introduced in 1934, but had a very short life. The present seal of the University (seal seven) is a modification of seal six.